Monday, February 18, 2008

Senator Chris Buttars, An Honest Man


To you this may be a state Senator, but to me he's been a neighbor, Singles' Ward Bishop, Boss and teddy bear! He makes the news every-so-often with the things he says, yes, I'll agree sometimes out of place, but always passionate about what he stands for. He passed around a letter to his neighbors that I felt was insightful and I'll share it here for anyone who wants to read it.
Chris was the director of the Utah Boys Ranch for many years and I worked with him for 7. When he said he's going to raise 'X amount' of dollars for the boys, he went out and raised more. He stands for family values and condems anything that goes against the 10 commandments.
He made the annual Scarecrow Festival the profitable event that it was and we ran a fantastic boys program because of his dilligence and drive. Chris, I salute you and all others willing to speak out and defend our rights, and hope the best for you during these difficult times.
Here's the letter:
Dear Friends and Constituents,
You've heard a lot from the media an special-interest groups about a recent statement I made on the Senate floor. These sound bites are attention-grabbing, but they don't tell the whole story. I'd like you to know exactly what happened.
The comments in question were made while SB48, informally known as the Equalization Bill, was being debated on the Senate floor. The bill had many flaws and my comments that day reflected concerns about its impact.
Senator Michael Waddoups was the first to refer to the bill as a "baby," and others expanded on the metaphor. Senator Howard A Stephenson said, "I rise in support of what I call the ugly baby bill. Senator Eastman has been likened to Solomon in bringing this [bill] forward but he is holding an ugly baby and about to cut it in half." I then stood to speak, and in the heat of the moment mixed my metaphors, substituting the word "baby" for "bill." Addressing Senator Stephenson, I said, "This baby is black, it is a dark and ugly thing." This was never meant as a racial slur, as it has been portrayed. My intent was to express concerns about the possible consequences of the Equalization Bill.
During the recess that followed my statement, President John L. Valentine informed me that Senator Ross I. Romero had lodged complaint. Recognizing how my words could be misconstrued, I immediately requested the opportunity to formally apologize. You can view my apology and the full debate at http://www.le.state.ut.us/asp/audio/index.asp?Sess=2008GS&Day=23&Bill=&House=S.
Finally, I want to express my appreciation to the many hundreds of people who have contacted me to express their continued support. Through this difficult time, I remain honored and energized by the opportunity to serve you.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I have been seeing this on the news. It is nice to get the whole story. The news only tells parts of what really happened. Thanks for clearing things up!

Christina

Jessica said...

And Chris thanks you for taking the time to read it. Pass it on!