Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Greenwells in Africa


It's been a well-kept secret (by my neglect;) that my fam cameos in the Signing Time videos 1, 2 & 3. I took the ASL classes in college and later, my roommate, Ray (Rachel de Azevedo, now Coleman )had the deaf daughter. I felt ripped-off and she thought I was nuts! Making lemonade out of lemons, which is naturally her strong-headed style, she used her music and family business sense and began what is now an international super star, Signing Time!

So, she begins these movies so American children (Ha! Small beans now) can communicate with her child. It's huge and they are TODAY teaching deaf school teachers ASL in Ghana, Africa on a 10 day trip. (They and Signing Time fans raised over $16,000 to send a handful of people to do this mission). Rachel, her husband Aaron, daughter Leah, cousin Alex (another star of the show), and other members of the family and business are paddling with gators, being mobbed by people who want to see white people and stroke their hair?!, meeting with famous deaf college grads, eating-who- knows-what and braving 100% humidity to teach others how to communicate in ways never imagined in African Deaf schools. Let's give them a cheer or two!! I posted Ray's link to her blog so you can read her journal first hand. It's education and exciting.

So this leads me to my kids: Donovan is getting pelted in the head by a football playing with Rob, in Africa! Harrison plays with a plane and signs, "airplane", drinks milk and signs, "fish" in Africa! and last, but not least, Ivy does the classic gag on the banana (a Signing Time fave) for audiences in Africa! Mind you she was 9 months old. She'd probably do it today too- actually, she still does at 5 years old. You can see each one of us and all of us together in 2 & 3. Lots of my family and neighbors are featured throughout all 13 or so videos.

Fun times! Love y'all, Jess

2 comments:

Anna B said...

Remember I saw those videos even before we had met. Cool huh? By the way tell Anna D. I want an invite to her private blog world ASAP.

Unknown said...

How cool are you! I am so glad I could say that I know you! =)

Christina