Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Backyard skiing & Happy Place

Whatta Day! We took the kids sledding to a nearby elementary school. I've scoped out the slopes beforehand and saw that I could practice skiing, so I loaded up and we took everyone for a Martin Luther King, Jr. Day (observed) adventure!

Haven't been on skis since I took the boys and myself for lessons at Alta-probably 3 years now. The lessons were a blast and I recommend them for everyone. Especially you moms out there that are searching for something to prove to yourself (yes, you're tough- you've had babies:) and you can learn anything you set your mind to...you can tell your body to do anything you set your mind to too) and a bit of exercise to boot. Anyway, the school hill adventure just made me want to ski more and my kids got to see mom in-action. I think they believe I'm a bit less boring today. Harrison chimes in and says, "I never thought you were boring!" Aw, thanks, H.


Now, to my "Happy Place": This is my creative space. Normally the room off of the garage is designed to be a storage area, you know lockers for coats, winter gear and backpacks. Not mine. I knew it would be a while until we finished the basement here at our house and I would need a creative space. So, I converted this area into my scrapbooking/quilting area. Rob and I spent 2 hours on Saturday night- following a beautiful date to the BYU museum, PF Changs (wowzers!) and then a quick trip to Home Depot for shelving supplies- building this amazing space for me to hide in, I mean create in :) This was just as much fun as the date places!!! I loved doing this "do-it-yourselfer" project with Rob and we think we need to start a show for novices named, "If We Can Do This Anyone Can" or "Winging It." Soon I'll put in the last top shelf and have some more matching boxes, but until then, I'll be doing ward quilt blocks and making cards and just leaving them on my table- just to see what that feels like*

Things I don't ever want to live without:
*Totino's 99 cent pizzas- I'll still eat them when I'm rich
*Phase 10
*My iPod
*Lysol
*A.m. yoga with Rodney Yee
*Goofing off with girlfriends
Signing Off, Jess

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I found you!!! I had no idea you had a blog! I too can't wait to get back on the slopes. We had grand plans until steph broke her leg. =( Maybe in a few weeks. Love your creative space, I wish I had one. Maybe in our next house. See ya later!!

Christina

jenn said...

I found you too! Good for you for skiing, and at the elementary school none the less. So creative! =)

Love your space and that your husband even participated. We need to get together for a little scrapbooking sometime!

Jenn Culley

Kati said...

Wow! What fun! And....look how ballerina like you are on those skiis! So impressed! Ummmm...feeling a little neglected. I haven't talked to you in a few days.
Kati

Anna D. said...

Hey Jess, I finally had a minute to sit down and read your blog. It's great! I love your space. You look like a pro! Sounds like you have been having a great time with your family.
The time seems to be rushing by so fast these days. Let's get together soon.