Friday, August 8, 2008

Let the Games Begin!

The Olympics

The last time I was really involved in the Olympics was in Salt Lake City, UT February 2002.
Why do I remember this time so vividly? Because I was GREAT with
my child, Ivy Chamberlain.
The boys and I sat on the Torch route to get a view of one of my
favorite obstetricians, Dr. Dale Hull, who had been
paralized in a trampoline accident and came back to be an inspiration & torch bearer.
We missed him and got some lady, no less important I'm sure, but
unrecognizable to us. It was freezing, I was entertaining like mad
(I seem to recall flag waving and Starburst were involved) and the biggest
Olympic memory: My cousin, Becky had her baby boy during
the month of the Olympics and the serious
swag
she brought home from the hospital, the U hospital, was astounding!
I loved the embroidered blankets, the Olympic ring onsies,
bags, etc. Did I mention she was an intern at Primary Children's Hospital?
Well, we were blessed with Ivy in March, which I'm thrilled about now.
And we didn't have to deal with some of the horrible security
issues, OR TRAFFIC, in SLC. Thank Heavens!
Oh, almost forgot; My dad brought Olympic taffy from
Taffy Town to the hospital for me. I think he was feeling my pain.
Small bandaid, but grape taffy rocks when you're stuck in a bed convalescing.
Anyone remember this cute face? Tell me all about your gymnastic dreams
following Mary Lou Retton's golds!


4 comments:

Kati said...

I was pregnant with Ryan when the olympics were in Utah as well! We took Jackson (age 3) downtown to see all the festivities. Good times. I love the olympics. I have been glued to channel 5 since the opening ceremonies last night!
Although...I never wanted to be a gymnast. Am I the only one?

Autumn said...

Oh you KNOW I wanted to be a gymnast like Mary Lou Retton!! But more than that I wanted to be just like Dorothy Hammel...I'm an ice skater at heart...although I can't hardly stand up on skates! Weren't the opening ceremonies so cool last night!!?? Go team USA!

Cami said...

I love the olympics too! 2002 was awesome and for many reasons other than the actual games. I wasn't prego but I did get to spend some time rubbing shoulders with some famous people. Because of our Swiss heritage, we were invited to a dinner with the Swiss team and they had Elders Eyering and Wirthlin and President Monson and their wives there, plus all of the olympians, including Simon Aman who won gold on the high jump in Park City. That was awesome! We felt so cool. However, since these are the summer olympics, I would have to say.... the gymnasts are my faves. Love the muscles. whew!

Crazycozartclan said...

FUNNY! I had just had Haley like 2 or 3 weeks before the olympics began. So I didn't get to see any of it. Haley was a 6 weeks premature baby that had been home for maybe like a week when they were here. So we watched all that we could while we were locked away from "germs". I LOVE the olympics. Good Times!