Saturday, February 28, 2009

New, fun books I discovered:
I bought the one on top- mainly about groceries.
The next one is help for fast-food lovers and the third
is about better food options for children.
The writing is entertaining, pictures are a MUST-
I can finally walk the aisles of the store
and know exactly what choice is a better alternative because
someone took a picture of it for me!!

Factoid: More than 3,000 ingredients are ADDED
to our food today and approved by the FDA.
Do you know what they are and what they're for?
Did you know the FDA allows a certain amount
of maggots and rat droppings in our food?
Ground cinnamon can have UP TO
400 insect fragments and 11 rodent hairs
per 50 grams!
OK, it was good for an education, an occasional laugh,
but most of all, an awareness that
sodium, sugars and fats are hidden and not helping me
nourish my family. We're trying to eat more fresh food and doing quite well
introducing new foods to the fam.

While comparing "apples to apples", you learn what products are better for you and why. The books claim that you can lose 10+ lbs by just switching brands of your faves; chips, candy, drinks, ice creams, meats, cheeses, etc. I've tried it and you're not really trading flavor or satisfaction. I took my book to the grocery store and love it! P.S. I lost 4 lbs this week:)




7 comments:

Autumn said...

Jess I love you. Good post...I need to check these out...especially the fast food one! :)

P.S. This was not the post I was expecting to find :) Hope you had a great day!!

Autumn said...

Oh and BTW I'm on a starvation diet now to avoid all rat dropping, hair, and maggots...thanks!

Unknown said...

Well now I will never have cinammon again!!

Those books look super interesting! I will have to find them and do some reading!!

Crazycozartclan said...

I bought the fast food book for for the Hubby for Valentines Day. We are trying to eat more healthy too and it is quite helpful. I need to get the one for kids.

Anna D. said...

Awesome! I'll have to check out your books. I saw that guy on the Oprah show awhile ago. Congrats on the 4 lbs. I thought you were looking sleeker at church today!

Cami said...

hmmm I am trying to figure out how I feel about all this. Fast food is NOT a problem for me.. yuck. The maggots, hairs, droppings and pieces of insects is quite disturbing though. Actually, really really gross! Those books are definitely something I would not read. It would just make everything I enjoy less enjoyable.... like cinnamon! What the heck? Why is it necessary that we know all of this? Of course we know that fresh is best. That is a given.... everything else? Just hype to sell a product. (and, I know I can share this opinion with you due to our love of deep discussions, opinion sharing etc etc.) LOVES

Jessica said...

Autumn: LOL! We'll see about the other post...still thinking. Maybe I'll let it go;)
Christina: Yes you will;) The books are great, but I will still eat some of the crap (ie, Totinos pizza & cinnamon)
Karen: Hope Diz was a blast! Can you believe Spagettios are better than anything else?!!
Anna: Congrats on making it through hell weeks! Did you find success? Thanks:)
Cam: I LOVE that you told me how you feel! I never thought about the marketing hype-except for that I think all of the products themselves are subject to hype. GOod thoughts. One question though: Don't most Europeans buy based on pure ingredients, or is that just what's more available in Europe. The US couldn't care less, just give it to me in huge amounts and now!
I love that you enjoy your food. This is the point, isn't it?