Saturday, September 29, 2007

Landmarks of Berlin


Harrison, here are the landmarks that you asked for: Alex is East Berlins tv tower and is easliy the most visible landmark in Berlin. This is the nickname the tower was given because it is in the Alexanderplatz or the plaza named for Alexander. Next is Else, another nickname for a beautiful statue she represents queen victoria, but was given the face of a different woman and has her nickname. This was the first beautiful thing I saw when entering Berlin. She took me by surprise and Burkehardt drove around in different ways so I could have the best view.

Now you see me at the amazing Brandenburg Tor or gate. This is what separated East and West Berlin. It is now a symbol of passage between two free areas and It is central to an amazing city. I visited this as my first site. There are guards that will give you a copy of the original passport you needed to pass into the East. It's fun. I had to tip him €1. I'll show it to you all when I get home.








The Berliner Dom or Dome is still one of my favorite buildings and it is in one of the buisiest streets. Tarnished and beautiful, I wonder what kind of people worked here through the years and what the old walls know.


This is the quick tour, but I will show you everything you want to know when I get home. See if daddy will let you get on the internet and look up some of these sights to read about their history. I love you all so much and you are in my heart. Love, Mom

3 comments:

Kati said...

Jess! I am so glad to see you made it there! How exciting and truly a once in a lifetime experience! Let your cute family know that I am right here if they need anything! Call me when you get back! I want to hear all the details! We will do lunch!!!!!
Have a wonderful time!
Love ya!

Anna B said...

Finally got a chance to check out your blog. Pretty Cool. Now let's keep it up.

Crazycozartclan said...

Hey there... I just found your site thru kati's. I'll check you out a gain sometime. See you soon.