Saturday, September 29, 2007

Guten Tag! Hello from Germany- 29.9.07

I took these pictures at the Saturday market today in Prenzlauer Berg. you can later see the entire market collection displayed in my home. Color, natural beauty, real life, you know. Please read and see the pictures from bottom to top, I uploaded them in the wrong order.

So I can happily admit that I looked forward to the European patisserie. This was our breakfast choices for this morning. I had the item in the right corner with raspberries on it. Everything I hoped for and more! I also had a mini quiche and a lemon and verbena herbal tea. No loss for beautiful organic herbal teas here. Another favorite of mine is a lime and ginger one with a bit of brown sugar in it.

Here I am at the weekly Saturday market in Prenzlauer Berg (res and shopping district within Berlin 29.9.07 ) The market has all of the standard vendors: butcher, baker, pastries, produce, baskets, flowers, jewelry, and cheese as seen here. The man on the right teased me that he would charge me 5 Euros to have a picture of his cheese, but in the end was happy to hand me the knife and hug me for free!

Above is the most beautiful building in the Schloss Sanssoucci palace collection of buildings. This is a garden and palace build by Fredrich Wilhelm IV I think and his palace and park is in the most quaint town of Potsdam. I loved all of it, but the gardens were someplace I thought I could never leave. Just watch any of my favorite Victorian films to view the immense and beautiful gardens. Equipt with Greek statues of all kinds throughout and satellite buildings for acres. Windmill, fountains, columns, surrounded by forest, it is a slice of heaven here on earth.



These two beautiful people are Burkehardt and Judith Wallenstein from Berlin, Germany. I am staying in their home and they are amazing! We are at a beautiful vietnamese restaurant here and I am enjoying the eating throughout Deutchland immensely. So far, I´ve had the national dish, schnitzel which is like carne asada, Rob, (or chicken fried steak for the less trained palate:) It is a thinly sliced and breaded veal. This came with potoatoes and cucumber (pickled) served warm. Next thing I tried was something very brave, blutwurst. I think Ill be accompanying Andrew Zimmern on his Bavarian leg! Blutwurst is blood, cooked until it can be sliced. Also a traditional dish. Months ago I would have rather die than try this, but the desire to experience German culture and food and striving for diversity in my life, since Rob and I have taken up The Travel Channel (zimmern's show is Bizzarre Foods- he travels and eats local delicacies around the world). Another dish was a bratwurst and apftlstrudle-strudel with the most amazing cream and ice cream ever! The brats here have the nutmeg flavor and a fantastic texture. Served with a mustard and toast. Also I had to have this giant pretzel you find from a street vender. Fun eating.

No comments: